Nestled in Southern Oregon, Medford is a city that’s home to more than 81,000 residents. Its metropolitan area has a population of over 217,000, which makes it the fourth largest metropolitan area in the state.
Medford is located in and is the county seat of Jackson County. The city serves as Southern Oregon’s economic hub, with its thriving industries that include retail, healthcare, and manufacturing.
Known as the “Heart of the Rouge,” Medford is one of the most scenic and livable cities in the Pacific Northwest. Surrounded by gorgeous panoramic views of the Cascade and Siskiyou Mountains, the city offers stunning views in every direction, along with a moderate climate and an outstanding quality of life.
Medford offers plenty of exciting recreational opportunities and destinations, including gorgeous parks, scenic hiking trails, championship golf courses, skiing venues, and many more. The world-famous Rogue River is also just minutes away, offering plenty of enjoyable water activities like fishing and whitewater rafting.
Sorry we are experiencing system issues. Please try again.
More about the City of Medford
- Medford uses the council-manager form of government. The city’s governing body consists of a mayor and eight city council members. It is divided into four wards, with two council members from each ward.
- Medford is known throughout the country and the entire world for its world-class pear orchards and vineyards.
- The city is home to Harry & David, one of the largest shippers of premium food and gift items in the world.
- The Medford School District serves a student population of more than 14,000 within 14 elementary schools, two middle schools, three high schools, and four charter schools. Students from the district perform above statewide assessments, and the district’s graduation rate is steadily increasing.
- Medford is located almost 30 miles north of northern California and encompasses a total area of approximately more than 25 square miles.
- Some of the cities close to Medford include Ashland, Klamath Falls, Grants Pass, Redding (California), Roseburg, and Crescent City.
- Medford’s Urban Growth Boundary was recently amended, which added 1,658 acres for the use of future residential and commercial development.
- Some of the major employers in Medford include Asante Rogue Regional Medical Center, Boise Cascade Regional Headquarters, Harry & David, and Southern Oregon Educational School District.
History of Medford
During the fall of 1883, four property owners decided to deed a section of their land to the Oregon and California Railroad in order to establish a depot and a town. Throughout the remainder of the year, the unbroken prairie was surveyed and the beginnings of a new town were in place. Soon, there were homes, commercial buildings, two hotels, a livery stable, a number of saloons, and several stores in the new railroad town. In the following year, the town already had a business district along Front Street, just across the depot, and stretched along 7th Street, known today as Main.
Medford was officially incorporated in 1885. As it transitioned from small town into city, Medford’s board of trustees took on the challenges faced by most growing communities, such as providing water and sewer systems, installing electric streetlights, and establishing police and fire protection.
Thanks to the area’s central location and convenient railroad access to national and world markets, the rapidly growing city attracted many forward-thinking individuals from different parts of the country. They worked with local entrepreneurs and together, forged a path toward a bright future, as the city welcomed the modern world of the 20th century.
Real estate in Medford
Homes for sale in Medford primarily consist of single-family homes, but some townhomes, apartments, and condos are available as well. Plenty of vacant lots and land are also available for those planning to build their dream custom home.
Buyers searching for the ideal home can choose from stylish and affordable country-style cottages, spacious ranch homes surrounded by sprawling acres, luxurious Tuscan estates with first-class features, and many more.
Most of the homes you’ll find in Medford are designed to take full advantage of the area’s incredibly gorgeous scenery and pleasant climate. You can find homes equipped with top-quality outdoor features such as expansive sundecks and verandas, large covered porches, heated pools, and floor-to-ceiling windows that open up to majestic views of the city, the mountains, and picturesque pastures.
Lifestyle in Medford
Southern Oregon was named a global wine destination by Forbes. Wine connoisseurs in Medford can visit some of the world-class wineries within the city, including 2 Hawk Vineyard & Winery, DANCIN Vineyards, Eden Valley Orchards, and Jaxon Vineyards.
Those who’d like to visit the many wineries in nearby Ashland, Applegate, Bear Creek, and Rogue Valley, can join the All Aboard Wine Tours, which is based in Medford.
Whether you’re looking forward to whitewater rafting, a fun hiking adventure, a fishing trip with the family, or some quiet time at the park with a good book, Medford offers easy access to an array of incredible outdoor venues.
One of the best destinations to visit is Crater Lake, which is just an hour and a half drive away from Medford. The lake is known as the deepest lake in the United States, with a maximum depth of 1,949 feet. Some of the activities you can enjoy at Crater Lake include swimming, boating, hiking, camping, biking, fishing, snowshoeing, and cross-country skiing.
Another spectacular attraction close to Medford is the Rogue River, which is one of the best all-around destinations for river rafting. Rafters navigating the Rogue are treated to picture-perfect views of enchanting evergreen forests, rocky gorges, and deep canyons that cut through the majestic Siskiyou Mountains of Southern Oregon.
For avid golfers, Medford is home to many outstanding golf courses, such as Bear Creek Golf Course, Centennial Golf Club, Quail Point Golf Course, and Rogue Valley Country Club.
There’s plenty more for you to discover in the city of Medford, OR! Need help buying or selling a home in the area? Call us at Ashland Homes Real Estate today to fulfill your real estate goals!